1. Use an oyster knife or a small, thick, pointed (but blunt) knife.
3. Push and twist the knife so as to break the hinge open.
5. Half way across the top shell cut the muscle attached to it.
7. Slide your knife under the oyster and cut the bottom muscle to loosen it completely from the shell.
2. Holding the oyster, flat side up, in a thick cloth to protect your hand -
insert the knife at the hinge of the oyster.
4. Slide the knife across the inside of the top shell.
6. Make the cut clean with your knife and discard the top shell.
8. Turn the oyster over, to present the better side, for service.